Monday, December 20, 2004

To be near you, to be free

This morning I was speaking to someone who has risked his life to flee from his country which is in war. He described to me his journey, how he, his wife and child were put on a small fishing boat with tens of people unknown to them … the starting point of a journey of hope. His eyes were sad when he was recounting how the situation there forced him to leave his country of origin. He said he remembers the fear when for numerous times the small boat almost overturned … how all the persons from different religions, Christians, Muslims, Orthodox, all prayed together to arrive safely on a land … any land.

“For days we were at a point between life and death. It didn’t matter what religion was the person next to you. We all prayed for a miracle to save us,” he said. Once ashore in an unknown country, they waited for their faith to be decided. “But we were safe and free from oppression. That is what mattered. So we were happy because we were at peace”.

Hearing such stories, I admire these people who have nothing materially but have everything that makes them happy anyway because they have peace at heart. This makes me wonder why I have everything and yet I always crave for more!

This song, Sailing, reminds me of that person and his family, and all the persons who are suffering and are fleeing from their countries. I wish for them peace at Christmas time and always!

SAILING – Rod Stewart

I am sailing, I am sailing, home again 'cross the sea

I am sailing stormy waters, to be near you, to be free
I am flying, I am flying, like a bird 'cross the sky
I am flying, passing high clouds, to be near you, to be free

Can you hear me, can you hear me, through the dark night far away
I am dying, forever crying, to be near you, who can say
Can you hear me, can you hear me, through the dark night far away
I am dying, forever crying, to be near you, who can say

We are sailing, we are sailing, home again, 'cross the sea
We are sailing, stormy waters, to be near you, to be free

Oh Lord, to be near you, to be free
Oh my Lord, to be near you, to be free
Oh my Lord, to be near you, to be free
Oh Lord

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home